join question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Frank Morton
Subject join question
Date
List pgsql-sql
For the SQL gurus, a query where I'm not getting the expected
results. Trying to write it using sql compatible with both postgres
and mysql.

There are two tables:

table = profile
int id
char name

table = attribute
int id
int containerId
char name
char value

Multiple attribute rows correspond to a single profile row where
attribute.containerId = profile.id

These two queries result in one row being returned, which is
the expected result:

select name from profile where ((profile.state='1020811'));

select profile.name from profile,attribute where (((attribute.name='description') and (attribute.value='1020704') and (profile.id=attribute.containerId)));
But, I thought this next query would just be a simple way to combine the two
queries with an "or" operator, still returning one row, actually returns
ALL rows of attribute:

select profile.name from profile,attribute where ((profile.state='1020811') or ((attribute.name='marketsegment') and (attribute.value='1020704') and (profile.id=attribute.containerId)));

Why doesn't this last query return just one row?

TIA