Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when...
Date
PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments  (Tony <tony@unihost.net>)
Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much faster than MySQL, only when...  (Paul Thomas <paul@tmsl.demon.co.uk>)
List pgsql-general
Hi;

I am trying to determine if there is anything I can do with MySQL that I
can't do with PostgreSQL.  HEAP tables are the last one I can't figure out.

HEAP tables are MySQL tables which reside in memory and are visible across
sessions.  For obvious reasons, this violates the D in ACID.

In many cases this can be very usefull-- for example if I am building a
system where I want the simplicity of a SQL-like interface with the low
latency of memory-only devices.  WOuld I have to run the entire db in a
ramdisk, or can anyone think of a way to do something like this?

It has occurred to me that when table spaces are supported, then this would
be much easier (have a HEAP table space sitting on a ramdisk).

Best WIshes,
Chris Travers