RE: a very big field - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fernando Caamaño
Subject RE: a very big field
Date
List pgsql-general
This could be ine solution, but I won't use text files if I could do it with the database, becuase I have done a script to manage this news, and they appear in a web page, and the idea it isn't to change all the script. I have been loocking in the manual and don't says anithing about blob type.
Maybe is any place to configure the size of a field?
thank you.
PD:I don't want to desprestigy postgres but I thougth that with postgres I won't have this kind of problems.

Fernando Caamaño
Programador web
Interweb Research
www.interweb-research.net
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 5:01 PM
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] a very big field

your english is fine

you can use BLOb field , but they are very strange and little confuse in pgsql. your db directory will be filled with indexes and so on.

I recommend that you are use text files, and to store name in db char field. or to use filenames that refer to key.

|id|...|
| 1|...|
| 2|...|

$ls /www/newsstore/
news.1.txt
news.2.txt
$

this directory can be in your www root, or outside it. If its outside you can include these files into the respond web page (PHP require or <!--#include )

Nikolay