[INIMSS] How to foreign key - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dino Cherian K
Subject [INIMSS] How to foreign key
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi

Is there any way that I can manage the relation between two tables in some
what automatic way?

I have two tables A and B with primary keys pka and pkb respectively, of type
serial. the pka is refered in the table B as foreign key. Its somewhat like
the one given below.
   Table A
-------------
pka    | serial
name    | varchar(20)
status    | int4
   Table B
-------------
pka    | serial
pkb    | int4
child    | varchar(20)
status    | int4

Now the operator enters information to both the table from the same GUI
window, so that the data relevant to table A is inserted and we take the
newly got pka value by selecting ths MAX(A.pka). Then we insert the data
relevant to the table B along with the new pka value. Here both the tables
are exclusively locked before starting the data insertions, and later
unlocked.

This was the method I used in my program. Is there any other method by which
we can make it in a better way?

Thanks
Dino Cherian K