Re: views and categorized tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: views and categorized tables
Date
List pgsql-general
1) You can attach RULES to a view in order to make it updatable.  Consider
as an alternative putting INSERT/UPDATE code into FUNCTIONs
2) You can introduce one level of hierarchy into the database by placing
tables into SCHEMAs.  Make sure to "SET search_path" so that all schemas are
listed.  You will probably want to externally enforce a "no duplicate names"
policy if you do this since the database only checks for duplicate names
within a SCHEMA

Look at the documentation for (RULE, FUNCTION, SCHEMA) to get more details
on what each of these features offer.

David J.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Zery
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:05 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] views and categorized tables

  Hi,

I'm new in database world, but I know postgres for a long time ago. Now I'm
trying to focusing on developing a database using postgresql and postgis
extension. I have several question that needs help from all of you.

1. I understand about a view, the lack for me is I cannot edit a view table,
is it possible to create a view on top of a table, so I can view the table
by joining to another table but I can edit the table also?

2. Can i categorized tables by its category? so when I open the database
using my database client I will see "a folder inside a folder" like view,
not all the tables listed in my database client, but the category will be
listed, and when I open the category then I see the tables.

Hope that make sense, and please be patient with me.

Cheers,
Zery