Re: sql window issues - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: sql window issues
Date
List pgadmin-support

-----Original Message-----
From: "Antoine"<melser.anton@gmail.com>
Sent: 09/04/06 11:38:08
To: "Dave Page"<dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
Cc: "pgadmin-support@postgresql.org"<pgadmin-support@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] sql window issues

> ps. I remember using a db frontend that had a syntax check function
> (sql server 2000 query analyser?) - that is what I have been using the
> explain analyse for I guess... could that be a functionality others
> might be interested in?

We have it for the View Data filters - but the problem is in this case we'd need to wrap the script in begin/rollback
behindthe scenes, but be *absolutely* sure the script won't mess that up in any way.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
> Well the error comes from PostgreSQL, not pgAdmin - and now you mention you are using EXPLAIN ANALYZE it all makes
sense.EXPLAINing a CREATE TABLE is pointless and unsupported by PostgreSQL. You will get the same error from psql.

> If you want to test one or more queries before executing them for real, try something like:
>
> BEGIN;
>
> CREATE TABLE etape
> (
>   n_etp_code numeric(6) NOT NULL, -- identifiant de la table
>   t_etp_intitule varchar(50), -- nom en clair de l'étape
>   CONSTRAINT pk_etape PRIMARY KEY (n_etp_code)
> )
> WITHOUT OIDS;
> ALTER TABLE etape OWNER TO "PRODUCTION";
>
> ROLLBACK;
>
> Then when you're happy, just change the ROLLBACK to COMMIT.
>
> Regards, Dave.

I thought it had to be something silly like that - thanks for the advice!
Cheers
Antoine

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.