Re: Group By? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Pawley
Subject Re: Group By?
Date
List pgsql-general
Guy

Sorry about the chart. It held together when I sent it to myself.

I'll try to make it clear in the way you suggest, by a truncated example.

Create table control (device_id serial, type varchar, association int4)

Create table auto_control (loop_id serial, monitor int4, valve int4)

Insert into control (type, association) Note - mon and valve are types of
device that together make a loop. A loop can be from 1 to 7 devices..

Values ('mon', '1') - serial 1

Values ('valve', '2') - serial 2

Values ('mon', '2') - serial 3

Values ('valve', '1') - serial 4

Values ('valve', '2') - serial 5

I want to transfer the serial device_id number for mon '1' into the same row
as valve '1' in the tables auto_control. Similarily

Those two rows would look like this.

Table (loop_id serial, monitor int4, valve int4)

Row 1 ( 1, 1, 4, )

Row 2 (2, 2, 3, 5)

Once this is done the devices will be organized into loops and each device
in the loop will have a direct link to other parts of the database.

I would like to know if this is possible with SQL, or would it be more
suited to the host language?

Would it be possible in SQL to have the information transferred into the
auto_control table as the information is being entered or would the control
table need to be fully completed?

Hope this is finally clear.

Thanks for you help.

Bob