Changing databases / schemas - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Machiel Richards
Subject Changing databases / schemas
Date
List pgsql-novice

Hi All

                I have a question that might seem “blonde” but I am very new to postgres and still trying to find my way around.

                I need to work on a system which contains several databases and schemas and the login I am using have access to all the databases and schemas, etc...

                However I am struggling to guide my way through the databases,etc... to view the table structures and so on...

                What I am trying to find out is the following:

·         In MySQL for example you can use “use <database>” and then change between databases which you want to access currently.

o   Is there something similar in Postgres or do you need to disconnect and reconnect to the next database everytime you want to change the current working DB?

·         Once connected to a database , how can I see a list of schemas and in turn a list of tables that are currently available and also how do I see the table info (i.e describe in other dbms systems)

I would appreciate any help in this as I tried to google but always seem to just get results for Alter table, etc... (I think my search text might be a bit off L   )

Regards

Machiel