Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darko Prenosil
Subject Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date
List pgsql-general
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
Cc: "Kaarel" <kaarel@future.ee>; "Justin Clift" <justin@postgresql.org>;
"Jay O'Connor" <joconnor@cybermesa.com>; <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user

> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Having said that, though, I do wonder whether we couldn't bump them up
> >> little.  Are there still any live platforms where the default SHMMAX is
> >> less than 4 MB?  (There was discussion of this a month or two back on
> >> pghackers, but no conclusion.)
>
> > Could we have per-platforms defaults?
>
> Hmm, that might be a nice solution.  Could we arrange for the template
> file to supply defaults for shared_buffers and so forth?  They'd have
> to be inserted into postgresql.conf during installation or initdb, but
> we already do some editing of postgresql.conf during initdb ...
>
> regards, tom lane

> http://archives.postgresql.org

There is project on gborg(or somewhere else), written as deamon that
monitors server and calculates the best configuration based not only on
platform, but also on server load.(damn, I can't remember the project
name!). I think that monitoring is done using pg_stat.
If group think that this is important isue, we can try to do something like
this, or even include that project in contrib ? I know that I did downlad
the source, but never tried if it works.
Maybe I can try it I let You know ? Even beter if author is reading this
list !

Regards !