Re: NLS Stuff - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Serguei Mokhov
Subject Re: NLS Stuff
Date
List pgsql-patches
----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 9:24 PM

> Serguei Mokhov writes:
>
> > I'm in the middle of translation psql.po file's
> > messages. I noticed that you have updated the source
> > *.pot files, and in the psql.pot specifically
> > 22 messages need merger. Should I just continue
> > translating the file and let you add the new
> > messages and then submit a patch with the translation,
> > or if you tell me the easy way to merge it myself,
> > I can do it and submit a complete .po file after.
> > (I don't have yet all the gettext/emacs tools yet though, and
> > a bit limited access to Linux box).
>
> Merging requires the gettext package to be installed; there isn't really a
> way to do without it.  If the message changes were tiny you can update the
> msgid yourself in your po file, but that's about all you can do.
> Basically it's up to you what you want to do.  You can send in what you
> have now and let the merge happen, or you can continue until you're done
> and then fix the merges.

OK, once I get my Linux box finally set up properly, I'll install the gettext
package, and will do it in a proper way. Meanwhile, I'll cope with the
patches-only approach. I guess I will stick to my strategy below, and will
send it now as it is, so the merge takes place, and then will patch it with
the new translated messages. The attached ru.po file for psql and a patch for
nls.mk in /src/bin/psql/.

One thing, if there were some changes to the original messages that were
already translated, how do I know which ones were affected? Visually, re-reading
every message? And how I fix those 4 fuzzy translations for libpq so it gets
up-to-date?

> > Last but not the least. Other pot files seem to have
> > quite a few messages, and translation might take some time.
> > What I'm thinking of is to include ru.po files for all the
> > components and do translations incrementally, like 200 messages,
> > a week and submit a patch weekly adding the new messages.
> > This way I don't hold the whole shebang for two long so it gets
> > outdated against sources too far, merger gonna be much easier,
> > and if somebody else wants, they can also "fill in the blanks"
> > with some untranslated messages.
>
> That's an excellent strategy.
>
> Btw., the message sets of psql, pg_dump, and libpq can be considered
> stable, barring any substantial functional changes being implemented.
> The backend messages still haven't been cleared up for easy translation,
> and there are a whole bunch of messages that really don't need to be
> translated since they can hardly happen anyway.  I'll probably do
> chunkwise improvements and you may be able to follow along the development
> in the de.po file.

Which one de.po file are yuo referring to?

S.

Attachment