Re: experimental pg_qcache patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: experimental pg_qcache patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Just explicitly prepared ones. Caching all queries opens a can of
> worms that I'd rather not deal with at the moment (volunteers to
> tackle this problem are welcome).

I definitely agree.  I think that the optimisation possiblities offered to
the DBA for shared prepared statements are quite large enough to offer
exciting possibilities.  Also, it will minimise the locking contentions Tom
speaks of.

> > Does is check for cached queries all the time or just explicitly
EXECUTED
> > ones?
>
> A cached query plan is only used for EXECUTE queries -- it is
> not used all the time. My gut feeling WRT to caching everything
> is similar to my response to your first question.

It'll be interesting to have VIEWs automatically prepared and executed from
the cache...

Chris