Tunning FreeeBSD and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephen Howie
Subject Tunning FreeeBSD and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tried to search the list but the search wasn't working.

I have a server running strictly PostgreSQL that I'm trying to tune for performance. The specs are

2 X 2.4 Athlon MP processors
2G Reg DDR
FreeBSD 4.8 SMP kernel complied
PostgreSQL 7.3.3
4 X 80G IDE Raid 5

My problem is that I have not totally put my head around the concepts of the shmmax, shmmaxpgs, etc....  As it pertains to my current setup and the shared mem values in postgresql.conf.  I'm looking for a good rule of thumb when approaching this.  Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stephen Howie