Re: Adding new dependencies for in-core - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Markus KARG
Subject Re: Adding new dependencies for in-core
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Vladimir,

sorry for being so ingorant not to give it a deeper thought, but what is in CLHM what is not also in
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap?

-Markus

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Vladimir Sitnikov
Sent: Dienstag, 30. Juni 2015 14:21
To: List
Subject: [JDBC] Adding new dependencies for in-core

Hi,

I've had a quick look into https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/issues/345
(Share parsed query texts across different connections) and it looks like
https://github.com/ben-manes/concurrentlinkedhashmapwould be useful to implement the cache.

We don't need all the stuff CLHM has, but I see no easy&scalable way of doing concurrent map with eviction by mere
java.util.concurrentstuff.

Well, I can do lock splitting (i.e. use multiple small LRU caches instead of a single big cache), however that looks
likereinventing the wheel.

Can you suggest what is the best way of adding CLHM dependency?
Should it be added in plain?
Should it be shaded? (i.e. renamed to org.postgresql.clhm...)

I'm more inclined to the "add regular dependency" approach.

I expect similar question might appear if we consider using netty for IO.

--
Regards,
Vladimir Sitnikov