MySQL vs. Postgres - congratulations to the postgres team - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mario Weilguni
Subject MySQL vs. Postgres - congratulations to the postgres team
Date
List pgsql-hackers
DISCLAIMER: don't take this as MySQL flaming (it isn't) or personally, this
are just my observations on an application, not a benchmark.

Today I tried a quite simple, mostly write database (HTTP logging).
* Postgres peaked at 709 inserts/sec (committed after 3 seconds or 100
inserts, whichever comes first)
* MySQL peaked at 735 inserts/sec (no transactions)

However, MySQL completly choked over when trying to query something usefull
out of the database while the inserts are running (at full speed). Postgres
worked like a charm. The only real advantage of mysql was a simple "select
count(1) from logs", which mysql answered immidiatly,while postgres did a
full table scan.

For querying the DB, postgres won, my queries ran about 12% faster in
Postgres than MySQL.

Given the fact that the "one-user" case was MySQL's real advantage up to now,
Postgres 7.1 will be an important milestone.

--
===================================================Mario Weilguni                               KPNQwest Austria GmbH
 Senior Engineer Web Solutions                         Nikolaiplatz 4