Re: Re: [SQL] possible row locking bug in 7.0.3 & 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Forest Wilkinson
Subject Re: Re: [SQL] possible row locking bug in 7.0.3 & 7.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 29 March 2001 22:15, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Just looked in heapam.c - I can fix it in two hours.
> > The question is - should we do this now?
>
> This scares the hell out of me.
>
> I do NOT think we should be making quick-hack changes in fundamental
> system semantics at this point of the release cycle.

Although I'm the one who is being bit by this bug, I tend to agree.

> The problem went unnoticed for two full release cycles

I first reported the problem on 25 September 2000, on the pgsql-sql list,
message subject "SQL functions not locking properly?"  I was using 7.0.2 at
the time.  Also, I seem to remember that a problem of this nature bit me in
6.5.x as well.

> it can wait another cycle for a fix that has been considered, reviewed,
> and tested.  Let's not risk making things worse by releasing a new
> behavior we might find out is also wrong.

Good point.  How long is the next cycle likely to take?

Forest