Re: Is v7.1 stable enough? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Sawtell
Subject Re: Is v7.1 stable enough?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Not so long ago the feasibility of using PostgreSQL for archiving mail
> and news articles was discussed (briefly). I am planning to put the
> database to work for just that purpose on a web-based e-mail site
> (switching from MySQL whose table locking on INSERT becomes a
> performance bottleneck). To work around the 8 KB page limit, I would
> have to use the 7.1 beta version, though, or store messages in files and
> reference those files from the database. The latter solution does not
> really appeal to me, as it makes ensuring referential integrity a pain.
> My question is: how stable is the current 7.1 code? Can it be used in a
> production environment
> or is it meant for internal bug squashing only? Am I asking for
> problems?

I do not think so, because I have been playing with it and have found that
7.1 works fine. The new features are a real boon and blessing.

Admittedly I have only been using it to develop a relatively simple web
application for which the database is only tiny biggest table is only ~300
tuples - I am not using any esoteric features either, just selects,
inserts, updates and a couple of plsql functions all called from php. Also
it is all single user at the moment ( there is only one of me ) and the
query rate is very low.

Updated using cvsup a couple or three days ago.
I'd go for it if I was in your position.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me
<<--