Re: pg primary key bug? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Iain
Subject Re: pg primary key bug?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Ivan,

Sorry, I can't remember all you said in earlier posts, but I was wondering, your log file says:

> HINT:  Rebuild the index with REINDEX.
Did you do that, and did it solve the problem?

regards
Iain
----- Original Message -----
From: pginfo
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [SQL] pg primary key bug?

Hi,

Tom Lane wrote:
pginfo <pginfo@t1.unisoftbg.com> writes:
Will upgrade to 8.0 solve this type of problems ?
The problem is probably not Postgres' fault at all.  I'm wondering about
disks with write cacheing enabled.  And you didn't turn off fsync,
I trust?
About fsync (part from postgresql.conf) :

# WRITE AHEAD LOG

# - Settings -

#fsync = true                   # turns forced synchronization on or off
#wal_sync_method = fsync        # the default varies across platforms:
                                # fsync, fdatasync, open_sync, or open_datasync
#wal_buffers = 8                # min 4, 8KB each

# - Checkpoints -

#checkpoint_segments = 3        # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
#checkpoint_timeout = 300       # range 30-3600, in seconds
#checkpoint_warning = 30        # 0 is off, in seconds

Also part from pg logfile:

LOG:  statistics collector process (PID 2716) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down
LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by protocol
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2005-02-11 19:58:26 EET
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 2/BAC39188
LOG:  redo record is at 2/BAC39188; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 2221145; next OID: 826607
LOG:  database system is ready
LOG:  recycled transaction log file "00000002000000BA"
LOG:  recycled transaction log file "00000002000000BB"
LOG:  recycled transaction log file "00000002000000BC"
LOG:  recycled transaction log file "00000002000000BD"
LOG:  recycled transaction log file "00000002000000BE"
WARNING:  index "a_constants_str_pkey" contains 1449 row versions, but table contains 1422 row versions
HINT:  Rebuild the index with REINDEX.
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "a_constants_str_pkey"
LOG:  received smart shutdown request
FATAL:  terminating connection due to administrator command
[...]
LOG:  statistics collector process (PID 2713) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down
LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by protocol
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2005-02-16 08:32:21 EET
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 2/BFAE09EC
LOG:  redo record is at 2/BFAE09EC; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

Note we was informed about the problem on  2005-02-16 and rebooted the box.
As I see in log file the last restart was on 2005-02-11 and after it all worked well.
The affected table is critical  and the most used table in this system and if the insert stop to work stop also the system.
I will notice also that in the first case when we found the same problem an this system worked ~80 users.

Is it possible pg_dump or reindex table or vacuum analyze to make this problem?
We are using it very regular.

Will we need to stop using vacuum full at all?

regards,
ivan.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend