Re: Help - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Help
Date
List pgsql-sql
>     I am a user postgresql. I want to update a table
> automatically when we reach monthend. i.e i want to
> update some table on 31 of every month automatically
> without any user attention. I want to know how to do
> this. If anyone knows how to do this please mail me. i
> will be ever thankfull to him

Probably the easiest way to do this is to write a script and run it from
cron. For example, if your update query is in a file called
$HOME/bin/monthend.sql:
   insert into mymonthendtable(f1, f2, f3)
values(123,'03/31/2001',12345.67);

your script (call it $HOME/bin/monthend.sh) might look like:
   #!/bin/sh   psql -U postgres mydatabasename < $HOME/bin/monthend.sql

then run (see "man 5 crontab" for more on cron)   crontab -e

and add an entry like
   # run at 2:15 AM on the 30th of every month   15 2 30 * *     $HOME/bin/monthend.sh

Hope this helps,

Joe