Re: MySQL -> pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Reid
Subject Re: MySQL -> pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
OK.  Thanks to all who replied.  Here are my first impressions...

- pgsql is fussier about names of columns than mysql.  e.g. a column name of
position was rejected by pgsql but seems to be OK in mysql.
- PRIMARY_KEY() syntax is OK for pgsql (which was a relief)
- There seem to be a lot more types in mysql than pgsql.

Questions that have cropped up already!!

- can tinyint(4) be considered to be int4?
- what should an int(11) be?
- if it uses "int(11) DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL auto_increment" is that
functionally the same as serial?
- is there an easy way to duplicate enums?  this is one of the ones I need
to copy...
"enum('R','L') DEFAULT 'R' NOT NULL"

I'll try to put all the help I get and my findings into a web page and make
it available if people feel it would be useful.  Of course a tool to
automatically convert would be brilliant, but that's far off into the future
for me! :)

Oh, and I've subscribed now!

david