Re: Swapping on Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Schroeder
Subject Re: Swapping on Solaris
Date
List pgsql-performance
I suspect that the memory is being used to cache files as well since the
email boxes are using unix mailboxes, for the time being.  With people
checking their email sometimes once per minute I can see why Solaris would
want to cache those files.  Perhaps my question would be more appropriate to
a Solaris mailing list since what I really want to do is get Solaris to
simply allow PostgreSQL to use more RAM and reduce the amount of RAM used
for file caching.  I would have thought that Solaris gives some deference to
a running application that's being swapped than for a file cache.

Is there any way to set custom parameters on Solaris' file-caching behavior
to allow PostgreSQL to use more physical RAM?

I will also check out memstat.  It's not on my system, but I'll get it from
the site you noted.

Thanks
Kevin