Paypal Risk Management, was Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Paypal Risk Management, was Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Mark et al.

It seems to me that if we use a service such as Paypal as a venue for
recieving payment, that our risks are pretty minor.  The risks people are
talking about here come into play only when we are storing sums of money in
Paypal.  Paypal has a number of issues that I would like to avoid:
1:  They don't have a very good security record. (Abiword comes to mind)
2:  They are large and well known, making users susceptible to fraud in the
same way e-bay users are.  This means that their security record may not
always be under their control, as less knowledgable customers may fall for
such scams.

Even if they have improved their terms of service, I still am unsure based
on these points.  So here is my counterproposal.  This viewpoint errs on the
side of security and safety.

1:  Have a separate bank account or money market (if we have enough of a
ballance to make it worth it).

2:  Clear out the Paypall acct weekly and transfer to the bank account.
That way if somethign happens, we lose 1 week's worth.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers