Re: Windows ODBC connection trouble? ISP issue? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joseph Doench
Subject Re: Windows ODBC connection trouble? ISP issue?
Date
List pgsql-general
My home ISP, our cloud server, and the office ISP are all separate entities.

I infer that the problem is with the office ISP - DSL provided by a phone
company.

Regards,

JPD

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver [mailto:adrian.klaver@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:44 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Cc: Joseph Doench
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Windows ODBC connection trouble? ISP issue?

On Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:29:00 pm Joseph Doench wrote:
> I have set up a pg database server for my organization on a cloud server
> using PG 8.2;
>
> I am trying to provide connections to the db for some members using MS
> Access.  I developed a small MS Access application using Windows ODBC - it
> works fine from my house.
>
> I have this line in pg_hba.conf:
>
> Host    all    mydbuserID    0.0.0.0/0     password
>
> BUT. I cannot re-create the ODBC connection in our organization's offices!
>

> I have de-bugged by taking my laptop to the office - it will not connect
> to the db there - but is ok at my house.
> (I have also checked 2 other locations with public wi-fi; could not
connect
> from either of them)
>
> This seems to be related to the ISP blocking data - I have ruled out the
> router in the office.

When you say ISP do you mean the cloud provider or the service provider(s)
from
the various sites? I am assuming that that your home, office and the public
Wi-Fi
locations are not all using the same ISP.

> Is this a common SNAFU to encounter?

My guess is that the firewall rules on your cloud server is only allowing
connections from your home site.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com