Question on joining tables - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Chris Pizzo
Subject Question on joining tables
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,
I have an interesting issue where i need to join two tables where the field that jions them is similar but not identical.  Table A field data is char(12) and contains data that looks like:

BBB12345
BBB345
BBB4980
BBB3455

Table B field data is char(32) and contains data that looks like:

MMM12345
BBB345
BBB4980
MMM3455

I need a way to equate  MMM12345 to BBB12345 in the join.  I tried using substrings but this fails ie.

select some_data from A,B where (substr(A.field,4,12) = substr(B.field,4,12));

anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Chris Pizzo