Re: go for a script! / ex: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ivan Voras
Subject Re: go for a script! / ex: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date
Re: go for a script! / ex: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL  (Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>)
List pgsql-performance
> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:30:45 -0700
> From: Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>
> To: Nick Barr <nicky@chuckie.co.uk>
> Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: go for a script! / ex:  PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
>

>>     This would be parameters such as the block size and a few other
>> compile time parameters. If we can get to some of these read-only
>> parameters than that would make this step easier, certainly for the new
>> recruits amongst us.
>
> Actually, from my perspective, we shouldn't bother with this; if an admin
> knows enough to set an alternate blaock size for PG, then they know
> enough to tweak the Conf file by hand.  I think we should just issue a
> warning that this script:
> 1) does not work for anyone who is using non-default block sizes,

There was some talk, either on this list or freebsd-performance about
setting the default block size for PostgreSQL running on FreeBSD to be 16k
because of performance reasons. That is: *default* for the port, user is not
asked. So an automagical method to scale non-default block sizes is a very
needed thing.

> 2) may not work well for anyone using unusual locales, optimization
> flags, or other non-default compile options except for language
> interfaces.

Depends on what you consider 'unusual'? I hope not things like iso8859-x
(or, to be exact, European languages) :)

--
Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with
confidence.