Re: Upgrade issue (again). - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Upgrade issue (again).
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Best way to upgrade might bee to do something as simple as get the
master to master replication working.

Old version on one box, new version on another.  Fire up for
replication -- done automatically -- with both boxes acting as
masters.  Change all the code to use the new server (or new database
on same server), then remove the old one from the queue and turn off
replication.

0 down time, no data migration issues (handled internally by postgres
replication), etc.  Worst part is you'll use double the disk space for
the period of time with 2 masters, and the system will run slower but
atleast it's up.

This is long term future though.  Need master to master replication
first as both servers have to be able to update the other with the new
information while the code that uses it is being changed around.  It
also means that replication will need to be version independent.

Of course, I'm not the one doing this but it sure seems like the
easiest way to go about it since most of the features involved are on
the drawing board already.

--
Rod Taylor