Re: Rule causes baffling error - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ken Winter
Subject Re: Rule causes baffling error
Date
List pgsql-sql
Richard ~

Thanks for your response.

Can a trigger be written on a *view*?  I can't find anything in the
PostgreSQL docs that answers this question.

I originally wrote these actions (described in my original message) as a
trigger on my base table, but then realized I was getting in deeper and
deeper trouble because (a) I was getting into cascading triggers that I
didn't want and (b) I need to enable some queries to access the base table
without triggering these actions.  That's why I set up the view, and then I
assumed that the only way I could implement these actions was as rules.

~ Ken