PostgreSQL doesn't accept connections when Windows Server is rebooted - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Weaver
Subject PostgreSQL doesn't accept connections when Windows Server is rebooted
Date
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't accept connections when Windows  (Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com>)
Re: PostgreSQL doesn't accept connections when Windows Server is rebooted  ("Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi everyone,

I recently installed PostgreSQL (Version 8.1.5.1) using the MSI installer on a Windows Server 2000 system.

I ran the installer logged in under an Administrator account, and set the service account to postgres.

During the installation process, when it came time to run initdb, the installer would stop with the error message:

     "Failed to run initdb: 128.  Please see the logfile in 'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\tmp\initdb.log.
      Note!  You must read/copy this logfile before you click OK, or it will be automatically removed."

I surmized that the problem was that I was attempting to run the install as an Administrator, so I addressed the problem by running the install, but not having the installer run initdb step to intialize the database cluster.  When the install finished without error, I then logged onto the server under the postgres account and manually ran initdb.  I was able to initialize the cluster.

I then updated the postgresql.conf file with "listen_addresses = '*' and changed the port from 5432 (currently being used for a 7.3 server) to 5435.

Everything runs as expected.

Until the Windows Server is rebooted.  When this occurs, the PostgreSQL service starts as expected, but won't accept connections.

If the PostgreSQL service is then restarted manually (via Administrative Tools > Component Services > Restart), the service runs as expected and everything is normal.

How can I correct this?

Thanks in advance,
George