Re: Normalization or Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Iain
Subject Re: Normalization or Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

without knowing much about your system, it seems to me that the current
status of a client should be represented by a status code on the client
record. History is the list of *past* status codes. The full history,
including the current status of a client would be obtained using a union.

I had a situation which might have some parallels with yours. nthis case the
tables represented orders and receivals. The status of an order item was
held on a code in the receival itemss table (an order item can be received
many times). This is seems to me to be not normalized as the status was
actually the status of the order item, not the receival. The receival just
caused the status of the order item to change. This arrangement required
ridiculously complex sql and resulted in poor performance. Moving the status
code to the order item and implementing a simple trigger on the receival
items table cleaned things up significantly.

To put it simply, if the current status of an order item is a simple
attribute of the order item, then it should be in the order item table. The
same might be said for your client.

This is just my personal opinion though and I'm always open to alternative
opinions, as I think you are.

regards
Iain