Re: Log archiving (like db2, Oracle) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Griffiths
Subject Re: Log archiving (like db2, Oracle)
Date
List pgsql-general
Our database is in the 20 gigabyte range, so we won't be copying files to
get standby databases working.

Archiving can slow the database down by generating alot of disk-traffic
writing the logs (read below). A lot of questions need to be answered:

1) How will logs get to the standby database? Will the database do it? Or
will the OS/developer do it?
2) Will archived logs be applied automatically to the standby, or queued up.
How will you tracking missing WAL log files (due to network problem, etc)?
3) Do all tables get archived? Or do you have a NOLOGGING option like
Oracle? If all tables get archived, then even heavy reads and creating lots
of connections (that alter the internal tables) will generate alot of
archived Write Ahead Logs.
4) Switching the WAL has issues as well. Under Oracle, when the database
fills one Redo Log file, it jumps to the next, and the Archiver archives the
previous. A problem will arise if the Archiver falls behind, and is still
archiving a Redo Log File when the database (Log Writer) suddenly needs it.
You can alleviate this by spanning redo log files across your disks, and
putting the archive log files on a seperate disk as well. Will only happen
if your site is busy.

David.