Re: RE: [GENERAL] PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: RE: [GENERAL] PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
    I've wondered and am still wondering what a lot of these benchmark tests
are out to prove. I'm not sure that any PostgreSQL advocate has ever said or
implied that PostgreSQL is faster than anything, much less MySQL. While I'm
sure it's faster than some, I've just never heard the argument for using
PostgreSQL as "It's faster than anything else". I chose PostgreSQL by what
it could do, not how fast it can SELECT... No benchmark between MySQL and
PostgreSQL (or any other RDBMS ) is ever going to be truly accurate since
there are so many things MySQL simply can't to that PostgreSQL (and others)
can..

    As Don often out often and accurately points out, MySQL is not an RDBMS,
I'm not sure what it really is beyond a semi-fancy SQL interface to a file
system.. Is it fast? Yes, it is pretty fast. Fast at the expense of
functionality and stability -- two things that just aren't optional when
you're talking about a good database for anything more complicated than
click-through tracking...

    I don't dislike MySQL for any other reason except that it can't do what
I need it to do, period... I'm sure it's good for some things and some
people,  I've tried MySQL, tested MySQL and then tossed MySQL into the
garbage can...

    I found some very educational conversation here :
http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html courtesy of Don and others.

-Mitch