Re: Completely stuck - cannot get pgcrypto to work. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Curtis
Subject Re: Completely stuck - cannot get pgcrypto to work.
Date
List pgsql-novice
> > The problem I have is no matter what I try, I get "ERROR:  Load of file
> > /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pgcrypto.so failed:
> > /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pgcrypto.so: undefined symbol: px_get_random_bytes"
> >
> [...snip...]
> >  cd ./contrib/pgcrypto/
> > changed makefile to use "dev".
> > make
> > make install
> > make installcheck
> > all tests fails.
> >
> > If however, I dont change the makefile, i.e. I leave it using "silly",
> > everything works!!!!
>
> I just tried it here on Red Hat 8.0, and Postgres 7.4devel (but I don't
> believe pgcrypto has changed since the 7.3 release) and it works fine.
>
> In the Makefile, did you do:
>    random = dev
> or
>    random = 'dev'
>
> If I use the former, it works. The latter, however gives me the same
> error you are getting.

Hi again all.
   I ran into the problem once more, but this time I was able to figure out
exactly why it failed.
It seems that if the line is changed to "random = dev" then all is ok, but I
had actually got "random = dev " (note the extra space at the end).

So the problem was my accidentally placing a space in the file.

Richard