Re: Multi Procerssor - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: Multi Procerssor
Date
List pgsql-general
> Maybe late to ask this question - but - does PG benefit from multi
> processor?

Though it's not threaded, multiple backends will use multiple processors .

>Is it dependant on the OS?

Yes. The OS has to allow use of the second (or third or fourth) processor.
Most modern Unix-like OSes will have this feature... OpenBSD is the only one
I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't have SMP support.

>And which OS' are most tuned for this purpose?

Tuned for SMP? Well, different OS's handle that in many different ways so
that's a question which requires a pretty long answer to cover all the
possibilities..

I use FreeBSD and Linux (though mainly FreeBSD) on my SMP boxes and both do
a fine job.

-Mitch