Re: portable version for Usb Pen - Mailing list pgsql-general

From SAL21
Subject Re: portable version for Usb Pen
Date
List pgsql-general

Really my question is:

A cannot install any type of exe application on my pc farm. Not have admin permission.

But my idea is to make a portable SERVER (sql, oracle, Mysql…) on my pc an share it from the rest of pc of my farm.

From: John R Pierce [via PostgreSQL] [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: mercoledì 23 aprile 2014 20:18
To: SAL21
Subject: Re: portable version for Usb Pen

On 4/23/2014 1:59 AM, SAL21 wrote:
> I'm new in this forum and new with PG.
> Existis a portable version of PG.

I'm assuming you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application
by 'portable'...

a "portable" version of a database server doesn't make any sense.  a USB
stick is not at ALL suitable as database storage, they perform really
poorly on random writes, and if you're going to store the data on the
systems hard disk, you might as well store the software there too as you
can't access the data without the server software.

--
john r pierce                                      37N 122W