Re: [GENERAL] using ID as a key - Mailing list pgsql-general

From davidb@vectormath.com
Subject Re: [GENERAL] using ID as a key
Date
Re: [GENERAL] using ID as a key  (<kaiq@realtyideas.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi Sheila,

For general database design considerations (not specific to Postgres) I
disagree with the others on the use of serials and sequences.  These
things never migrate well from platform to platform, they often break, and
dealing with them is a nightmare if you ever have to do any bulk data
copying.
ID generation ought to be handled programmatically.

As far as referential integrity is concerned, that is supposed to be
implemented in the next release, due out real soon now.  Personally I'm
waiting for that release.

Finally, since you proclaim that you are new to database design, I cannot
pass up this opportunity strike out against the forces of evil.  Unless you
ABSOLUTELY cannot avoid it, never use more than one field as your primary
key.  Oh, it seems like a good idea at design time, but it's not.  If you
use
complex primary keys, you and your programmers will regret it for the rest
of
the application's useful life.

For what it's worth . . . I would do it as follows:

CREATE TABLE tbl_agency
(
    nagencyid    INT    NOT NULL,
    szotherdata    VARCHAR(30)
);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX tbl_agency_pk ON tbl_agency (nagencyid);

CREATE TABLE tbl_employee
(
    nemployeeid    INT    NOT NULL,
    nagencyid        INT,
    szotherdata    VARCHAR(30)
);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX tbl_employee_pk ON tbl_employee (nemployeeid)

David Boerwinkle