Fw: Front end? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Afton & Ray Still
Subject Fw: Front end?
Date
List pgsql-novice
> Ray,
>
> On Dec 18, 2004, at 7:04 PM, Afton & Ray Still wrote:
>
>> Hello;
>>  I have spent a little time on PgAdmin III. I can see I'm playing with a
>> lot of power. Now I need to figure out how to use the database. Is what
>> I'm looking for the front end? (sorry haven't done much with data bases
>> since paradox 3.) I'm looking for a front end(?) that is relativly easy,
>> (I don't mind programing if necessary) cheap or preferably free, and has
>> fairly good abilities for formated output. I would also like to be able
>> to create a standalone application if possible.
>>

> pgAdmin III is a generic front end for using PostgreSQL. It does not have
> facilities for building interfaces or applications. PostgreSQL is just a
> data server -- there are no interfaces building tools like you might have
> had with paradox.
>
> It sounds like what you might be looking for is a development tool for
> building a custom PostgreSQL interface? If you are looking for something
> simple with interface building tools, maybe RealBasic
> (http://realbasic.com/) or Revolution (http://www.runrev.com/).
>
> If by "standalone" application you mean something where the database and
> application are integrated, you are probably using the wrong database.
> PostgreSQL is a server type database and will be difficult to embed in an
> application compared to something like SQLite.
>
> You can likely get some better suggestions if you provide more details on
> what you are trying to do.
>

> Best,
>
> John DeSoi, Ph.D.
> http://pgedit.com/
> Power Tools for PostgreSQL

 I admit I'm not real clear on terminolgy.
 As I understand it, front end means what the user sees and uses to input
 data and get information. The backend is what does the work and takes care
 of the details. Is this correct?

 So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to enter data into the data
 base using PgAdmin. So what I'm looking for is a way to enter data and get
 fairly good looking (well formated) reports.

 If I can get all of this I'll be happy, but idealy I'd also like to be able
 to create an aplication that I can give to a co-worker who is only
 semi-computer literate. It doesn't really matter if it's all self
contained,
 as long as it's all transperent to the end user.

 I'm also playing with a very limited development budget.

 Any suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
 Ray

---