Re: problem with RH7.3 Pg7.3.4 binaries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: problem with RH7.3 Pg7.3.4 binaries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Will check later today.

Extract from man gcc:
      -mcpu=cpu-type          Tune to cpu-type everything applicable about the generated code,          except for the
ABIand the set of available instructions.  The          choices for cpu-type are i386, i486, i586, i686, pentium,

pentium-          mmx, pentiumpro, pentium2, pentium3, pentium4, k6, k6-2, k6-3,          athlon, athlon-tbird,
athlon-4,athlon-xp and athlon-mp.

          While picking a specific cpu-type will schedule things appropri-          ately for that particular chip, the
compilerwill not generate

any          code that does not run on the i386 without the -march=cpu-type          option being used.  i586 is
equivalentto pentium and i686 is          equivalent to pentiumpro.  k6 and athlon are the AMD chips as
opposedto the Intel ones.

cheers

andrew