Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Henrik Steffen
Subject Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Justin,

thanks for your answer, I will now try to deliver some more information
to you... but I am in particular a programmer, not a hacker ;-)) so please
excuse if I lack some knowledge in system things and stuff....

> - Have you run any system-performance tools apart from top, to figure
> out how the various parts of your system are operating?

nope. don't know any... which would you recommend for measurement of i/o
usage etc. ?

> The solution may turn out to be upgrading your disks instead
> of your CPU's (example only).

I will at least consider this... IDE disks are not that reliable either...

> Important question, how much memory can you get into that server?  Could
> you do 3GB or more?

no, sorry  -  1 GB is allready the upper limit... I consider migrating everything
to a new hardware, (dual?) intel xeon with perhaps even raid-v storage system with
a new upper limit of 12 GB RAM which will give me some upgrade-possibilies ... ;-))

> Something that would be *really nice* is if you have a second server
> with the same configuration hanging around that you can try stuff on.
> For example, loading it with a copy of all your data, changing the
> memory configuration, then testing it.

I actually DO have an identical second server, and the db is allready on it.
however, the system has a few problems concerning harddisk failuers and memory
problems (don't ever use it for running systems!! we had this server on the list
before... I almost gave up on this one, when suddenly all problems and crashes
were solved when moving to a different machine as suggested by tom lane ....)
... but for some testing purpose it sould be sufficient ;-))

> - Which version of the Linux kernel, and of RedHat?

redhat - linux kernel 2.4.7-10

> - If you do a ps (ps -ef) during a busy time, how many instances of the
> PostgreSQL process do you see in memory?  This will tell you how many
> ients have an open connection to the database at any time.

up to 40 clients are running... right now it's 21 processes and w shows
a load average of 1.92, 1.58, 1.59

> - How much data is in your database(s)?  Just to get an idea of your
> volume of data.

It's 3.6 GB at the moment in one database in 98 user tables.

> - If disk performance turns out to be the problem, would you consider
> moving to higher-end hard drives

allready considering ....

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Henrik Steffen
Geschäftsführer

top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
http://www.topconcepts.com          Tel. +49 4141 991230
mail: steffen@topconcepts.com       Fax. +49 4141 991233
24h-Support Hotline:  +49 1908 34697 (EUR 1.86/Min,topc)
Ihr SMS-Gateway: JETZT NEU unter: http://sms.city-map.de
System-Partner gesucht: http://www.franchise.city-map.de
Handelsregister: AG Stade HRB 5811 - UstId: DE 213645563