Re: Completely stuck - cannot get pgcrypto to work. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Curtis
Subject Re: Completely stuck - cannot get pgcrypto to work.
Date
List pgsql-novice
> > The problem I have is no matter what I try, I get "ERROR:  Load of file
> > /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pgcrypto.so failed:
> > /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pgcrypto.so: undefined symbol: px_get_random_bytes"
> >
> [...snip...]
> >  cd ./contrib/pgcrypto/
> > changed makefile to use "dev".
> > make
> > make install
> > make installcheck
> > all tests fails.
> >
> > If however, I dont change the makefile, i.e. I leave it using "silly",
> > everything works!!!!
>
> I just tried it here on Red Hat 8.0, and Postgres 7.4devel (but I don't
> believe pgcrypto has changed since the 7.3 release) and it works fine.
>
> In the Makefile, did you do:
>    random = dev
> or
>    random = 'dev'
>
> If I use the former, it works. The latter, however gives me the same
> error you are getting.

I got stressed last night, and as I had only just installed the base OS, I
decided to reinstall again.
(I am documenting the steps to setup the whole server and got in a mess
forgetting what I had an hadnt already done).

After reinstalling, it all worked fine so I am not sure what I did the first
time.

I was using "random = dev" and not "random = 'dev' ".
Anyway, it is sorted.

Thanks for the help
Richard