Re: restoring with pg_restore - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Phillip Smith
Subject Re: restoring with pg_restore
Date
List pgsql-novice
> Is it a good practice in order to have a reasonable level of security to
on a server drop and recreate a database every day ? would there be any side
> > > effects things that could get corrupted in the long term. We want to
restore because we are using a separate server for the heavy reporting we
have so we > are planning to backup and restore at least every night.

I'm a little lost - how would dropping and restoring your database each
night increase security? Do you mean security as in your data will be (more)
secure against data loss, as opposed to unauthorized access etc?

The only benefits I can see is:
A) You will always know your backup is working (or not, as the case may be)
B) Your physical 'size on disk' will always be minimum possible as the
backend files on disk will be re-written and optimized every time you do it.

THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT - Save paper if you don't really need to print this

*******************Confidentiality and Privilege Notice*******************

The material contained in this message is privileged and confidential to
the addressee.  If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy it and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.

Information in this message that does not relate to the official business
of Weatherbeeta must be treated as neither given nor endorsed by Weatherbeeta.
Weatherbeeta, its employees, contractors or associates shall not be liable
for direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from transmission of this
message or any attachments
e-mail.