Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces
Date
List pgsql-general
> Tom Lane wrote:

> I tend to agree with the viewpoint that getting anything useful out of
such a merger will be a difficult project.

> Anyone suppose they both felt they had to do this because they were
each losing ground to Postgres?
> If they do make a successful merger of the best parts of each DB,
they'll certainly become a much better combined competitor ...

From what I was able to read from the German article your
slashdot-atitcle links to, there won't be a software-merger. Both
parties have joined forces to develop a new databasesystem for
commercial use (whether it'll cost anything isn't mentioned, as far as I
can tell).
This new project will probably take a few years to finish and untill
then the SAPDB will be renamed to mysql or something like that.

Arjen