Re: Running config vars - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Running config vars
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I will try to get this feature into 7.2, though as backend code.
>
> I've long been thinking that the SET/RESET/SHOW commands could be
> implemented as stored procedures and/or functions.  That way you could
> cleanly return the settings to the client application and compose new
> values out of arbitrary expressions.  If ever functions can return
> multiple rows you could also arrange for them to show all current
> settings.

I added a function to the c library that I sent to patches the other day --
called "get_var". It implements what you describe above (that is, one
variable at a time). I'd like to get this into contrib, or do the work
necessary to get it into the backend -- any interest in letting me give that
a try?

Thanks,

Joe