Re: Pl/Java - next step? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rob Butler
Subject Re: Pl/Java - next step?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello all,

> 3. Probe deeper and see if there's more that we can share (C-code
> essentially).
> I have my doubts about sharing C-code since we do things fundamentally
> different. I know you have a generic call mechanism that we could use to
> establish a common ground, but I think it would bad for both designs. We
> have different objectives. You strive to minimize the number of RPC calls.
> strive to minimize call overhead and resource consumption.

I've been following this thread - and don't know much about either
implementation. On the re-use front it would be VERY nice if you could
somehow have a single patch for PostgreSQL's C code that called a set of
Java interfaces.  Then each of your implementations could implement that set
of Java interfaces (one using JNI, the other using RMI).  This would allow
the user to swap between either implementation, but would also reduce the
amount of similar C code in Postgres.  Something I think the PostgreSQL
hackers would much prefer.

Later
Rob