Re: trouble migrating from 6.3.2 (IRIX) to 7.0.2 (Linux) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Armhold
Subject Re: trouble migrating from 6.3.2 (IRIX) to 7.0.2 (Linux)
Date
List pgsql-general
Earlier in the week I was having problems moving from PG 6.3.2 under IRIX to
version 7.0.2 under Linux.  I noticed that pg_dump was creating bogus
(negative value) entries for varchar fields that were initiallly created
with no maximum length constraint.  Tom Lane suggested the following:

> It was and is, but it looks like 6.3.2's pg_dump did the wrong thing
> with 'em.  If you know that's how these fields were created, I'd say
> that manually removing the (-5) from the table declarations is the
> way to go.

This fixed most of the problems.  The one other thing I had to do was rename
a field "offset" to "my_offset" throughout all my tables.  Apparently this
is a reserved word in the current version?  I still have some more testing
to do, but I seem to have things working now.  Thanks to the group, and Tom
Lane in particular.