Re: Fixed width rows faster? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Eric Jain
Subject Re: Fixed width rows faster?
Date
Re: Fixed width rows faster?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
> Frankly, the only reason to use anything other than TEXT is
> compatibility with other databases and applications.

The main reason why I am still using VARCHAR rather than TEXT in many
places is to ensure that the column can be indexed. Postgres, it seems,
refuses to insert a string that is longer than some value into an
indexed column, and I'll rather have such errors flagged while inserting
a row rather than while rebuilding an index after having inserted lots
of rows.