Re: execute permissions of stored procedures? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Griffiths
Subject Re: execute permissions of stored procedures?
Date
List pgsql-general
Oracle has a UNIX-file-system-like set of capabilities for allowing acess to
database objects and granting priviledges.

Users need to be granted the CONNECT right to connect. Tables and views
created under one user are only visible to that user. To share them, you
need to create a synonym, and then grant INSERT, UPDATE, SELECT or DELETE
rights depending on you're requirements.

A stored procedure is the same, with the execute right. Ditto for sequences,
and need the SELECT and ALTER right.

Finally, there are roles, which are an amalgam of rights. There are all
sorts of predifined roles that you normally grant once and never think about
again.

Some people use them, some don't. We use them, but they were poorly
implemented by a consulting company, and as a result, provide no security,
and big headaches. If you are working on an application where the user
connects directly to the database (client-server) rather than a web-based,
3-tier application, synonyms and rights are more important. But if every
user connects with the same user account via the connection pool in your
middle tier, then their usefulness drops off dramatically.

Yes - Oracle is a good product. Oracle is also an expensive product. We are
looking at $60,000 US for a 2-year licence for Oracle just for our
production servers (not counting Quality Assurance and Development). I'd say
that's worth a little client-side coding to restrict stored procedures, but
what do I know.

David