Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sven Geisler
Subject Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Tom,

Just to explain our hardware situation releated to the FSB of the XEON's.
We have older XEON DP in operation with FSB 400 and 2.4 GHz.
The XEON MP box runs with 2.5 GHz.
The XEON MP box is a Fujitsu Siemens Primergy RX600 with ServerWorks GC LE
as chipset.

The box, which Dirk were use to compare the behavior, is our newest XEON DP
system.
This XEON DP box runs with 2.8 GHz and FSB 533 using the Intel 7501 chipset
(Supermicro).

I would agree to Jush. When PostgreSQL has an issue with the INTEL XEON MP
hardware, this is more releated to the chipset.

Back to the SQL-Level. We use SELECT FOR UPDATE as "semaphore".
Should we try another implementation for this semahore on the client side to
prevent this issue?

Regards
Sven.