Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From August Zajonc
Subject Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
An excellent idea.

I suspect you'll get a biased resonse from the -hackers folks. This really
is an excellent idea.

Those options cover I think the main scenarios, with the first two options
being the most important. Ideally you'd basically sample server specs
(speed, # of procs, mem etc) and set up for that based on profile. It should
then be possible to dump the settings that are used (--tuning = these
cmdline --options changed from defaults).

Novices can use it to get of the ground, intermediate level dba's can use it
as a sizing tool, and -hackers can flame each other over its very existence.

August