Re: [GENERAL] Fw: Can't even specify template - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dan Wilson
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Fw: Can't even specify template
Date
List pgsql-general
joel reed wrote:
> try configure --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> change i686 as needed

OK, cool,  that worked ... but ... here's what happened next.

$ ./configure --host=i586-pc-linux
creating cache ./config.cache
checking echo setting...
checking setting template to... linux_i386
checking setting USE_LOCALE... disabled
checking setting CYR_RECODE... disabled
checking setting MULTIBYTE... disabled
checking setting DEF_PGPORT... 5432
checking setting DEF_MAXBACKENDS... 32
checking setting USE_TCL... disabled
checking setting USE_PERL... disabled
checking setting USE_ODBC... disabled
checking setting ASSERT CHECKING... disabled
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables

I check for gcc.  It's there, but it doesn't accept a parameter of -02.  Is
this because of a newer version of the compiler or something.

What I don't get is that this all worked just fine the other day.  Am I
missing some libraries or something.  This is a fresh install after a
reformat, and I think pgsql was installed with an RPM the very first time
before.

Any ideas would be great,
-Dan Wilson