Re: A very novice question about ascii files - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Paul Skinner
Subject Re: A very novice question about ascii files
Date
List pgsql-novice
If you have access to an Oracle box, you can try reloading using SQL Loader,
then any number of tools can be used to move the data from one environment
to another.  I once moved  Oracle 8i database to Postgres 7.0.2 via the
MS-SQL 7 Enterprise manager. All you're usually left with is making a script
to enable any constraints.  Nothing imports better than the system that
generated the dump... You can download (super slow) Oracle from their site.
The Linux version is a pain if you don't  RTFM , but if you're short on time
then try  the brain-dead installer for the NT version.

If you don't want to get into a data massage nightmare ( they aren't that
bad after the first few if it boils down to that !) , try to get the data
back into it's native format and export it to something more meaningful to
the system you're trying to import to.