Re: sort by on two columns - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andy Lewis
Subject Re: sort by on two columns
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Michael,

Yes, I understand this but, I would like to have the results of both
"table1.name, table2.name"
sorted as one column.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Glaesemann [mailto:grzm@myrealbox.com]
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 8:40 PM
To: Andy Lewis
Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] sort by on two columns

Hi Andy,

On Jan 2, 2004, at 7:15 PM, Andy Lewis wrote:

> Is it possible to sort by two columns? Using the query below?
>
> SELECT table1.name, table2.name, <other selected columns> FROM table1,

> table2 WHERE table1.id = table2.id ORDER BY <what?>
>
> I want to be able to sort the names select from two different tables
> and
> two different colums(same data type).

If you want to order by table1.name and table2.name, just enter them in
a comma-separated-list after ORDER BY, e.g.,

SELECT table1.name, table2.name, <other selected columns>
FROM table1, table2
WHERE table1.id = table2.id
ORDER BY table1.name, table2.name

Check out the following link for the online docs:
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/queries-order.html>

It doesn't explicitly give you an example of sorting on more than one
column, but the syntax explanation at the top includes it.

Does this help?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com